This is what we started with.
Truth be told, this long box of lights stayed here until well after the renovation was done. I stared at them constantly, trying to figure out what to do. They flickered long after they were turned on, and then eventually decided to not turn on for the first 10 minutes after flipping the switch. I finally had enough.
I was at the ReStore one day and came across these.
Well, not these exactly. They had several that day, so I got 3 of the darker ones that you see in the middle. I think I spent $30 for all 3.
I took them all apart and gave the globes a good cleaning. I also took lots of pics of this step just incase I needed to put them back the exact way.
I purchased new ceiling attachments and primed those and the gold parts that attach to the globe. I first tried a hammered bronze. (The one I introduced in the Cabinet Handles blog-that actually looks like galvanized metal.)
This still needs another coat, but I wasn't thrilled with the color. I went with oil rubbed bronze instead.
I looked at different ways we could hang the new globes, and I purchased some baskets from the plant department at Lowe's...the kind that usually has the coconut husk.
I didn't really care for the look, so I decided to build something about the same size as the old light fixture, so we wouldn't have to do too much ceiling repair. I figured out that 3 1x6's were roughly the same width, so I went with that.
To attach them together and leave room for the wires, I used some 1x2 strips of wood.
Then I trimmed everything out, sanded and primed.
You can see where I messed up a cut. Nothing a little wood filler can't fix. These are 1x2's for trim, and you want them sticking out on the underside to hide all the wiring and sit flush to the ceiling.
I painted it gray, let it dry, then went over it with a cream. I lightly sanded with my orbital so some of the gray would show through.
Mark measured where they would all sit in their new frame then drilled 3 holes for wires to go through.
He spliced them all together to attach to the one set of wires hanging from the ceiling.
Next, he took down the old light.
Time to hang the new! You can see where we put the ceiling attachment and flipped the part that will attach to the globe right under it. This is because we only have 8ft ceilings and any chain coming down would make them too low.
This whole time he was checking for studs to hold this monster up. I told him it was fine that we screw through the frame. I might go back with wood filler later.
He then attached the globes and screwed the light bulbs in.
And let there be (non-fluorescent) light!
Here's the instant replay:
I'm pretty proud of how they turned out. (And yes, I finally got doors to fit the sink cabinet!)
I hope you enjoyed today's post. As always, any questions, just holler! Y'all come back soon!